Engineer at Akiban : February 2010 - present
- Worked on storage engine for MySQL and Drizzle.
- Developed query rewriting plugin for MySQL and Drizzle to optimize queries for Akiban. This work was merged into Drizzle but not MySQL.
- Worked on core server developed in Java.
- Only team member to perform Professional Services duties for initial customers. This invovles typically auditing a customers MySQL environment or reviewing a MySQL slow query log.
- Work with customers to update their applications to use Akiban.
- Set up build infrastructure with Jenkins and Launchpad.
- Gave presentations on various topics.
- Worked on integrating support for Akiban in various ORMs such as ActiveRecord in Ruby and Doctrine in PHP.
Student Developer in Google Summer of Code : Summer 2009
Research Assistant at University of Maryland : Summer 2008
- Worked in team of 5 developing a binary rewriting infrastructure in C++.
- Added functionality for reading ELF and PE binaries. Included work to extract any debug or relocation information present in a binary.
Oracle DBA at IT Convergence : June 2006 - July 2007
- Provided consulting and support services for several US based cients with services ranging from daily support tasks, monitoring and system assesments to upgrades, migrations, clones, performance tuning and implementation of best practices on a wide variety of OS and RDBMS versions.
- Developed documentation on building Oracle RAC on Solaris 10 and other platforms for internal training. This resulted in an article that was published on Oracle’s Technology Network.
- Gave regular presentations to DBA’s within the company on new technologies and techniques that I found exciting in order to encourage collaboration and knowledge transfer within the company.
Research Assistant at University College Cork : Summer 2005
- Investigated the design and implementation of a car-park management system using a new wireless sensor platform developed at UCC.
- Programmed the sensor nodes in nesC.
- Developed Java application to control the sensor nodes and aggregate all the information collected by the nodes, then place this information in a MySQL database.
- Developed web frontend to display the archived information and allow report generation.
Software Engineer at Oracle Corporation : June 2004 to June 2005
- Worked as part of Oracle Forms and Reports team to automate testing of the platform.
- Automated testing of the of Oracle Universal Installer on various platforms.
University of Maryland, College Park
- 08/2007 - 05/2010
- M.S., Computer Engineering (GPA: 3.6)
University College Cork, Ireland
- 2001 - 2006
- B.Sc. Computer Science (First Class Honors)
Honors and Awards
|University of Maryland Distinguished Teaching Assistant||2009|
|Clark School of Engineering Distinguished Graduate Fellowship||2007|
|Second Place Oracle Student of the Year Awards||2005|
|College Scholar at University College Cork||2003, 2004, & 2006|